Simplicity is the newest trending lifestyle. Families all over the country are moving out of large homes into smaller ones with the hopes of living a life filled with more adventures rather than slaving away to keep up with the Jones’. Although downsizing saves many Americans a lot of money, it does not necessarily save them space. If you are new to the simpler lifestyle, it can be hard to figure out how to make your new space work best for you and your family. Below, you will find 10 simple ways to maximize a small space!
- Paint the room white. White makes a room look brighter and larger.
- Use full size furniture. Although, this may seem a bit odd, small furniture can actually make a room appear smaller!
- Buy multifunctional furniture. Furniture that has more than one purpose is a definite must. An example of multifunctional furniture would be ottomans with storage, pullout couches, and an entertainment center with built-in shelving.
- Use a pop of color. Colorful furniture or accents will distinguish each space.
- All art should be at eye level. If you choose to hang art, picture frames, or posters, it is best to display them at eye level. This will make your ceilings appear taller.
- Trick the eye. Use floor to ceiling window accents, display mirrors around the room, and hang transparent curtains to let in more light.
- Customize and organize. Built in bookshelves and storage options will make it easier to stay organized and keep clutter contained.
- Think vertical. Taller cabinets, bookcases, and lighting elements, all draw the eye upward, making the space appear larger.
- Create Sight Lines. Get rid of unnecessary walls to make your space appear more open. Use glass doors to give rooms an open view and avoid bulky furniture.
- Less is more. Although it is suggested to use normal size furniture, fewer furnishings will make the room feel more open.
For more helpful tips on how to maximize your space, or for helpful moving tips check out Fry-Wagner online.